Tips to Advance Your Job Search
Looking for a new job can either seem like a depressing chore, or an exciting and rewarding prospect!
The good news is that the right job is out there for everyone - if you know where and how to look.
The work environment of today is more open than ever before. Opportunities can be found through social media and online job boards, and through old-fashioned face-to-face contact.
Is your job search off to a slow start or getting stuck? Here are some quick time saving job search tips that will help your hunt for a new job go smoothly.
- Have a resume that clearly articulates your experiences, skills, and accomplishments, and how these relate to the position you have applied to.
- Network, network, network! Talk to people you know about your career aspirations. You never know who they may be able to connect you with who has a job opening.
- Use several resources to find jobs: Internet, personal and professional connections, associations, etc.
- Arrive at each interview well prepared and knowledgeable about the employer – do your homework.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Look and feel your best at each interview. Sleep well the night before, dress professionally, shine your shoes!
- Carve out time specifically for your job search. It can take 6-9 months (or more) to secure the right job.
- Know why an employer should hire you and be able to communicate this verbally.
- Refine your job search and narrow it down to a couple of types of jobs you are looking for.
- Develop a list of potential employers and check their websites on a regular basis.